Saturday, August 1, 2009

Half and Half

One week left! My heart is filled with sadness at this thought. I have come to love Costa Rica, Latin America, and Latinos more than ever before. It’s weird, but I think of myself as ½ Gringo and ½ Latino. I walk down the street and I see a white person, a Gringo, and I wonder why there are strangers here. Hahaha.

Elizabeth Elliot once said: “From St Paul to St. Nicholas of Japan there has been no missions without self-identification of the missionary with those to whom God has sent him, without a sacrifice of his personal attachments and his natural values.”

Maybe that is part of it…I have spent time and effort trying to understand and become the culture, that I in at least a few aspects become like them. By coming to Costa Rica I have sacrificed being close to loved ones, being in a familiar area, and I have tried to identify with the people here.

And you know by identifying with them and trying to become one of them. I view them the same as me!

They just want to be loved…just as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment